Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stranger With My Face: a reading response.


Laurie Stratton’s life is perfect; she has a dream boyfriend, many friends, a loving family, and anything she could want. Then people start seeing her in places where she couldn’t have been. They all assume that they were mistaken, because nobody can be in two places at the same time, right?
Everything is not as it seems. Laurie finds out that she was adopted, and that she has a twin sister. Her twin sister, Lia, is haunting her and will stop at nothing to get Laurie’s life. Laurie goes back to her Navajo roots and learns of astral projection, or the ability to project yourself to places without physically being there. Lia uses astral protection to watch and meet Laurie. Laurie tells her two friends Helen and Jeff, and eventually they all realize that Lia is evil.
One day Helen is found in the park, unconscious. Laurie finds out that it was Lia’s doing.
Laurie learns how to project herself, and one day, Lia takes Laurie’s body and attempts to ruin her life. However, with a special Navajo pendant, Laurie regains her body. Finally, she finds out the truth about Lia. Lia is insane, and is dead.
This isn’t your regular old jealousy. This is extreme jealousy. Can you imagine how evil or insane you must be to want to take someone’s life and stop at nothing to get it? I would feel bad for Lia, considering she was neglected and was not adopted, but she injured the daughter of the first foster family that she was in. She was crazy, and she was put into an asylum. Imagine the shock when she finds her long lost twin sister with a perfect life while she’s been locked up in a hospital. I’ll admit, I would be jealous if I was Lia, but I don’t think I would resort to harming Laurie’s friends.
One thing that I find interesting is how Molly, Laurie’s younger sister, knows that it isn’t Laurie but Lia in Laurie’s body. Call it instinct, but Molly must know her sister well. If my brother had an evil long lost twin who replaced him, I hope that I could notice that not all was right. But if I didn’t know him, I might assume that he was having a bad day.
The scary part of the book is the ending because you know that Lia’s spirit is still out there, waiting to take Laurie’s place.

No comments:

Post a Comment