The Sleeping Dragon (sonnet)
There once was a dragon, he lived in peace.
He slept in a cave, high above the land.
The villagers gazed up at the great beast,
As they walked in their village on the sand.
When the dragon snored, his breath scorched the homes.
The villagers were peeved at the dragon.
They started a search for the prince that roams.
He walked the land with his huge red wagon.
In his wagon he carried a great sword.
Its true magical power was unknown.
The beast saw this, stood up, and loudly roared.
The people stepped back, for strength he had shown.
The prince stepped back and swung his sword with might.
The dragon was dead after the fight.
Told to Write a Sonnet
First I was told to write a sonnet
I sat on the couch and put my pencil to the lined paper
What should I say? Certainly not anything that I would regret.
This was harder than I expected.
I sat on a couch and put my pencil to the lined paper
Myth is a decent starting point.
This was harder than I expected.
Write about a dragon near a village.Simple.
Myth is a decent starting point.
But today in class, that seems regretful.
Write about a dragon near a village. “Simple”.
It's not my finest piece of poetry.
But today in class, it seems regretful.
Now I have to write another piece of poetry.
It’s not my finest piece of poetry.
That's the poem I can't read.
Now I have to write another piece of poetry.
Something better than a sonnet!
That's the poem I can't read.
So I'm back on this couch, typing online.
Something better than a sonnet.
Maybe even recorded in the books.
So I'm back on this couch, typing online
While my parents FaceTime.
Maybe even recorded in the books,
Among the poets of this generation
While my parents FaceTime
I work on this poem, easier than the sonnet. Hopefully.
Among the poets of my generation
Only the finest get their poems on the front page.
I work on this poem, easier than the sonnet. Hopefully.
No unnecessary rhyme.
Only the finest get their poems on the front page.
I just need to get an A.
No unnecessary rhyme.
Cause first I was told to write a sonnet.
why are you posting your poems?
ReplyDelete