On Wednesday, President Obama announced that the U.S. wold be looking into claims that the Syrian government used chemical weapons to against the revolution. As you may know, Syria is involved in a bloody civil war, beginning in the Arab Spring, when several countries revolted and became democratic. Countries have been reluctant to provide support for the rebels (I personally think something should have been done a long time ago to stop this senseless killing). The president is '"deeply skeptical"' that Syria used chemical weapons. However, if the Syrian government did use chemical weapons, they would be held responsible. Mr. Obama has named the engagement of chemical warfare a '"red line"' for the US. While US officially supports the rebels, they have not provided aid. I disagree with the US's actions. I do think aid should have been provided. The US also knew that President Assad, president of Syria, had large stores of chemical weapons. Clearly, the US put their faith in Assad to not use chemical weapons, which would most likely lead to a American intervention in the war, for better or for worse. However, the government is saying the rebels used chemical weapons. It is a web full of lies, in my opinion, that the US must get through to find the truth. In fact, both sides asked for an international investigation. All we know is that someone's lying. The president does not believe the rebels used chemical weapons simply because the rebel party has no access to chemical weapons while Assad does.
I think Assad used chemical weapons. I'm going to say it now. I have absolutely no respect for him. When his country holds peaceful protests, he brutally murders his civilians. He practically invited the rebels to fight back. He should have stepped down with whatever dignity he had left. Instead, he continues this senseless bloodshed. Innocents are forced to flee to neighboring countries as a result. Towns get bombed and lives crumble away with the buildings. If the US intervened, I have a feeling that this revolution would end soon. Chemical warfare is the tipping point for the US. If Assad used chemical weapons, he needs to watch his back, before the rebellion tips in the rebel's favor.
Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/world/middleeast/syria-developments.html?hp&_r=0
No comments:
Post a Comment