Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Friends With Boys: A social action reading response.

Is this story fair?

Actually, I’m going to say that Friends With Boys  is not completely fair. There is some closure, like when the twins make up, as well as Alastair and Daniel. But Matt doesn’t pay for what he did to Alastair, Maggie, and Lucy.
First, it is fair that Alastair owned up to his crimes in front of Daniel. I think this is very fair because pretending like nothing had happened wasn’t going to work. I also believe Daniel did the right thing by forgiving Alastair. I think he realized that Alastair was under Matt’s influence and was ready to man up, so to speak. 
Second, it is fair that the ghost found closure. At the end we found out that all of Maggie’s brothers could see the ghost, not just her. It was an unsuspected twist, because in all the ghost stories I’ve read, only one person can see the ghost. I think it showed how each person had something they needed to do, a spiritual task they needed to complete. I think this was a fair way of representing everybody, instead of just showcasing Maggie’s closure while leaving everything else to the side.
What I don’t find fair is that Matt does not get in trouble. When he beats up Alastair, he runs away when the police come. I hope that Matt gets caught and disgraced in front of the school as a bully and a coward. Matt is not used to people opposing him, especially his former best friend. Another thing I find unfair is that Alastair did not even try to defend himself from Matt. He was just trying to protect his sister, Lucy. 
          In general, most characters receive the endings that they deserve. Maggie and her brothers finally find enough closure and send the ghost to where it belongs, with her dead family. Lucy gains a new respect for her brother, and Alastair realizes that the past does not need to haunt him. However, there are some unfair aspects to the book. I don't think Matt pays for his sins and is brought to justice.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that it isn't fair that Matt shouldn't get into trouble considering that he beat up someone and that he runs away afterwards. I agree with you that he should get punish for doing what he had done because if not, he would just continue doing that and more people will get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you stayed focused on one idea in your blog. You really delved into the fairness of the situations of the different characters you read about. But what was the book about overall? I didn't really understand the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I think at the end of a book all the characters should get what they deserve, whether it might be good or bad. Just by reading your response, I know that Matt should have been punished more, it really showed me different perspectives on the book.

    ReplyDelete