In the UK, carbon is rationed, and now the water is rationed. Extreme weather is frequent and devastating. All Laura wants to do is focus on her band and go out with her crush Ravi, but her sister Kim is selling carbon points, her mom is always leaving the house to escape her dad, who is slowly losing a grip on life.
What's really scary about this book is that it occurs in 2015, two years from now. Laura and her cousin Amy's dad have both gone insane. Amy lives in America, who has not started carbon and water rationing. Recently, a huge hurricane had hit the east coast quickly, not leaving anytime for people to evacuate. The deaths were high and people has nowhere to live. Imagine something worse than hurricane Sandy, or hurricane Katrina. Amy's dad became extremely religious, praying to go and even blaming those who offend the bible, like gays.
Laura's dad and her mom's marriage is falling apart. Her dad is becoming crazed to find ideas to occupy his time. He trades his wife's Saab for a pig, wheelbarrow, and other useful equipment. He starts installing solar panels. In the beginning of the book, he loses his job and drinks away his sorrow. Later, when his wife makes him a sweater, he does the worst thing possible. He laughs.
Ravi is Laura's next door neighbor and love interest. Ravi has a talent to fix or create machinery, like crossbows or smartphones in a shed in the backyard. Then his parents slightly lose it and buy rabbits. They keep them in his shed.
Laura's reaction to the insanity in her house shows at school. When giving a presentation on helping an elderly person, she spirals into despair, ranting about her "evil" sister and "crazy" father. However, other people don't realize it and she suffers the consequences at school by being forced to go to a Carbon Offenders group.
How would I deal with my parents going insane? Not well. I'd probably first be extremely frustrated with them and scream at them to see if they are still there. When they are completely lost, I would probably cry. We look up to our parents and they are the strongest people we know. They are also our first friends. I'm surprised that desperation hasn't settled in for Laura. I guess that she is just stronger than me. Maybe that's because she is older.
I haven't finished the book, but I predict that her parents will finally divorce. I also don't think that Ravi and her will last because I believe that her friend Adisa has feelings for her.
I like how you can relate well with the character in the story and how you elaborated. You included important events in the character's history. gret response.
ReplyDelete